Saturday, March 27, 2010

My Pizza Crust

Okay. I know you've all been eagerly anticipating this day. I'm finally posting my super easy pizza crust recipe! I adapted this recipe from one I found on Allrecipes.com. I like it because it didn't involve alot of kneading, and because it was alot faster that most I've seen that require lots of rising time. This recipe take less than an hour from start to finish! Here's what you'll need:
2 cups warm water
4 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast (or 2 (1/4 oz) yeast pkgs.)
5 1/2 cups of flour
4 Tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. parsley flakes

*Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl. *Add in rest of ingredients, and stir vigorously until you see a nice firm dough forming. Then, let it rest 15-20 minutes. (Hint: The longer you wait, the more the yeast will activate, and the more your crust will puff up when it's baking, so keep that in mind.) This recipe makes 3 crusts that are about 12" around. Of course, you could make 2 bigger crusts, or 4 little crusts for that matter.
*After you've given yourself a pedicure - I mean let the dough rest - coat your hands with flour, and grab a hunk of dough. Use your hands to shape it into a kind of disk shape.

*Starting in the center, press the dough outward until you're happy with the size/shape. You'll notice mine are pretty "rustic". I don't take much time shaping, but you could be good and tuck the ends under and pinch up an nice little lip like the pros do.
*Once you're happy with it, stick it in a preheated 425 degree oven for 7-8 minutes. You want them to be stiff, but not too brown. You're only partially baking them, and they'll finish baking/browning next time after you've actually assembled all the toppings.
And here's the finished product! After they've cooled completely you can slip them in a big freezer bag and freeze them until you're feelin' like pizza for dinner. These will thaw pretty quickly, so if you just pull it out before you start preparing the toppings, it'll totally be ready to go into the oven by the time you're finished assembling it. The second time around, I usually bake the pizza at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until your cheese is all melted and browning and your tummy is screaming, "Let's eat now"!
Ways to complicate it:
*Make your own pizza sauce with my super easy recipe here.
Well, that's it. If I can do it, you can do it! Don't forget to tell me what you think after you try it!

1 comment:

Got something to share? I'd love to hear it!