Monday, March 15, 2010

Getting things started

To start things off and show you how easy this stuff is going to be, I'll give you my Super Easy Pizza Sauce recipe. Homemade pizza is a staple at my house, but until recently, I'd always relied on the store bought stuff. Nothing against it, but one day I was out when I wanted to make pizza. Thus, this pizza sauce was born. It's so easy, you'll never have to buy that other stuff again!

1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
1 (ish) tsp. Oregano
1 (ish) tsp. Basil
1/2 (ish) tsp. Garlic powder
Onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste

Pour everything in a small sauce pan and simmer until thick (at least 30 min.).

I really just eyeball it until it looks "spiced up" enough. Of course, the beauty is you can adjust everything to your specific taste. If you like yours a little thicker, you could add some tomato paste, but I rarely have tomato paste lying around for some reason. It will thicken the longer you simmer and in the fridge (you science majors could tell me the reason for that).

My latest batch has already lasted about 2 weeks in the fridge. Since there are no preservatives, it won't last forever, so I usually make don't make bigger batches than this, but my next project is to try freezing it.

Soon, I'll share my Homemade Pizza Crust with you. No kneading involved!

Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. i love homemade pizza too! sounds like a great sauce, can't wait to hear the crust recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog! The great way to freeze any sauce or broth is to cool it, pour in ice cube trays, and freeze. When frozen pop out and store in freezer plastic bags. Then you can pull out as much or as little as you need. I'm not good at doing this, but that is the trick.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to share? I'd love to hear it!