Monday, April 26, 2010

Clearance Craft

I headed to Hobby Lobby last week in search of a 5x7 frame for a gift I was giving my grandmother. I found an okay one for $16.99, but since I'm on a budget I was hoping to find something a little cheaper without it looking cheap. The fairly ornate frames that would have really worked best for my photo were $24.99. I made my way to the clearance aisle (because the #1 rule of shopping in Hobby Lobby is that you always check the clearance aisle) and found this 8x10 frame for $5.44:
The mat was okay but not the proper theme for my photo, and it was also designed for a 4x6 photo, not a 5x7. Off to the framing department I headed. They carry pre-cut mats in a variety of colors. The size I needed was $1.99.The mat itself was a little bit boring, so I raided my scrapbook stash to personalize the frame a bit and make it more decorative. I didn't Mod Podge it since it will be displayed behind glass. The finished product turned out perfect and I made a lovely gift for my grandmother for $7.43. Don't dismiss a great find just because it's not exactly what you are looking for. Sometimes with a little imagination you can turn that bargain into something wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to share? I'd love to hear it!